Here’s a list of twenty things that make David Maria Angelo Vistan Castillo the superbly extraordinary individual that he is.
1. Mom had David when she was almost 40. I was 14 and my other brother Don was 11. When Mom announced she was pregnant with Dave, my brother Don and I were very shocked. Our simple minds just couldn’t absorb the outrageous idea that our parents were still doing IT.
2. At the last minute, our parents inserted the name “Maria” in David’s birth certificate because he was born on the same day as the Blessed Mother. To this day, Dave bewails the feminization of his full appellation.
3. When he was in kindergarten, he adored The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. (He even had a real turtle named Michelangelo as his pet.) He badly wanted to be one of the Ninja Turtles for Halloween. Unfortunately, the turtle costumes were out of stock in the department stores so Mommy bought him a caterpillar costume instead. Poor little David could not fathom why there were antennae sticking out of his (supposed) turtle outfit!
4. David has a vast collection of academic medals and awards. All that Playstation must be doing his mind some good! (Or maybe he just takes after his sister. BwaHaHa!)
5. One sunny day, our Mom and our helper went to pick up David in school. Mom had our maid in uniform alight from the car with an umbrella and get David, who happened to be hanging out with his grade school classmates at the ledge. Naturally, his friends all jeered as he left. Dave, who is the epitome of cool, was incredibly upset and made Mom promise that she would never, ever do that again. Thank God she has held true to her word.
6. He used to pronounce the letter “W” as DAVOLYU.
7. David is by nature a peacekeeper. Strangely enough, he is also an avid wrestling fan. (Hmmmm… Could it be he is plain bewitched by the WWE Divas??) He and my brother Don can give Triple H and The Undertaker a run for their money. They are always at it – flipping each other on the bed, kneeing each other, pinning each other down. Lately, they have excitedly found a protégé in the form of my toddler Niccolo…. to my inevitable alarm.
8. Being the family’s youngest, David can get away with a lot. He successfully hosted secret beer parties at our house while our parents were away in Europe. Our Dad and Mom only found out months after they returned from their trip. And wouldn’t you know it? They did not get angry. They actually laughed in amusement. Dave will always have my undying admiration for this triumphant coup.
9. David is a Master of Reverse Psychology. When he wants to buy something and our parents hesitate, he will immediately say: “It’s ok. I’ll just save up for it with my own money. I don’t want to impose. No problem.” This quickly melts the heart of our sympathetic folks and they immediately give in. I admit…this phenomenal style of his works on me, too.
10. From time to time, Dave also manages to convince me and my husband Allan to get him stuff, like a new Playstation, a celfone, DVDs, CDs and even presents for various family members. He does this by earnestly offering to help pay for the things with his allowance on an installment basis. Upon receiving the items, he will pay us a small amount (ranging from Php50-Php100) once. . . And then that’s it. We fall for this ingenious scheme every time.
11. David can be really dense when it comes to girls. Really. Do they have to spell it out for him???
12. He is always on the computer. His favorite excuse is that he is checking to see if Mom has received any email. The thing is nobody even knows what our mother’s email address is or if she really has one. We have no choice but to take Dave’s word for it.
13. Dave is forever attempting to join his 11-years-older-brother Don in his night escapades. And Don is forever trying to dissuade Dave from joining him.
14. When he was 5 years old, silent tears would fall from his eyes whenever he lost in a computer game to Allan or me. Because of this, we would take pity and let him win. We are now wondering if he wept on purpose to get us to lose to him.
15. Until now, he is trying to find out if I am his Santa Claus. HOHOHO!
16. When David is around people, he usually hangs around unassumingly. But beware! His sponge of a brain is actually absorbing every word and building his elephant memory so that he can use what you say against you when you least expect it.
17. He makes the funniest greeting cards for all-occasions.
18. Our clan is not ordinarily of the touchy-feely kind. But David is as thoughtful and cariñoso as they come. He does not hesitate to utter the sweetest things and give a hug or loving pat when he feels like it. He is sure to make some girl very lucky.
19. He is 20 going on 35. Dave’s high degree of maturity, fierce sense of responsibility and strong level of self-discipline never cease to amaze us. Our youngest can sometimes act the oldest and wisest.
20. He is the family’s eternal favorite baby….next to Niccolo! c”,)
HAPPY 20TH BIRTHDAY, KUTO!!! Love yah!!!