September 23, 2006

Movie Madness

Lizza, my blog-tag temptress, sent me this insanely irresistible piece to fill out. Of course, my movie-crazy self could not help but get going on it right away.

Ready, set, action!

1. The last movie you saw in a theatre, and current-release movie you still want to see.

I last saw: The Devil Wears Prada


A refreshingly fun flick! Meryl Streep lets her magnificent eyes do most of the acting and they hit home perfectly; she is a pure delight to watch. Anne Hathaway transforms from naïve ingénue to delicious fashion plate wonderfully. The gazillion fantabulous clothes, shoes, bags, and accessories that spice up the screen scene after scene are more than enough to send scintillating shivers up every shopaholic’s spine. If you’re up to your ears in work and dying for a little break, stop what your doing and see this movie NOW.


I currently want to see: Monster House


A couple of little kids stumble upon an old house that is alive and hungry. How can this not be riveting?

2. The last movie you rented/purchased for home viewing.

Meet Joe Black


I’ve seen this already but I got the DVD so I could view it again.

What is the story? Let me see….. Hmmmmm. Oh! I don’t remember!

And honestly, I don’t care.

Just watching
Brad Pitt sizzle in this movie is entertainment enough for me. BwaHaHa!

3. A movie that made you laugh out loud.

There's Something About Mary


This must be one of the most ridiculously funny films ever. My husband and I were cracking up so hard inside the cinema that people were beginning to give us strange looks. Well, we thought they were the strange ones for not laughing more.

Other belly-achingly crazy movies I enjoyed are Zoolander, the American Pie series, Liar Liar, and Top Secret!

4. A movie that made you cry.

Lorenzo’s Oil


This was gut-wrenching. The gigantic lump in my throat ached the whole time and I had terrible difficulty trying to stifle my sniffles inside the movie house. By the time I left the theater, my eyes were swollen red and my date’s handkerchief was damp with tears.

To think I was not even a mother yet when I first saw it! I honestly don’t know how I can take watching this again now that I have my own son.

5. A movie that was a darling of the critics, but you didn't think lived up to the hype.

Brokeback Mountain


I mean, really now.

Need I say more? :p

6. A movie that you thought was better than the critics.

The Passion of the Christ


This movie was riddled with much controversy. No matter what, I personally found it powerfully moving and profoundly meaningful.

7. Favorite animated movie.

Shrek


Tell me. How can anyone resist falling in love with such a darling ogre?

8. Favorite Disney Villain.

Ursula


If you’re going to be bad, you might as well be REALLY bad. And Ursula from The Little Mermaid is definitely one of the baddest, most kick-ass villainesses in Disney history.

9. Favorite movie musical.

The Sound of Music


I never get tired of watching this classic over and over again. Whenever I see it, I am sixteen-going-on-seventeen again, fondly recalling my favorite things, joyfully singing along to do-re-mi and feeling the hills come alive with the enchantingly beautiful sound of music.

I also love Grease, Moulin Rouge, Chicago and Evita.

10. Favorite movies of all-time (up to 5).

Crash


Everyone should see this movie. It truthfully depicts what our world has come to, and what our world should not be and be.

Father of the Bride


The Daddy’s girl in me stirs and smiles whenever I see this film. I am very close to my father and I am reminded of our special bond every time I watch it. My Dad even gave me the DVD a few days before I got married. It will thus always be special to me.

As Good As It Gets


The script in this movie is pure genius and the acting in it simply superb.

Love Actually

This movie with a huge stellar cast wittingly brings to light the greatness of different kinds of love. Anyone with half a heart would be delighted.

Dead Poet’s Society



Here is poetry and humanity interwoven in a cinematic masterpiece, reminding us of what is truly important and leaving us with the overwhelming longing to “suck the marrow out of life.”

If you haven’t seen this, you must.
Carpe diem!

Fellow movie buffs, I’m now tagging you: Jenni, Pam, Maite, Menchie, Arvy and Julie. You’re IT... as well as everyone else who wants to join in on the fun! Just promise to let me know what you come up with, okay? (",)

At last, the time has come for me to blog-holler.....CUT!!!

14 comments:

Lizza said...

Thank you for playing! I can't believe I forgot to mention Dead Poets Society. That was one awesome film. And Shrek's a blast, I agree.

kj said...

hello! i haven't seen all these movies but i agree with you 100% about "as good as it gets" and disagree 100% about "brokeback mountain".

for what it's worth!

Jules said...

I love Father of the Bride too!!! I always cry when he gives the speech about, "I'll never see her walking down the stairs in her robe and slippers again..." It's so funny and so sweet and I love the themes of growing up and how it's hard for both kids and parents alike. I know it's a remake, but I love Steve Martin in the role and this is one of those films that I always stop on if I find it while flipping.

Bearette said...

Love Actually is one of my favorites too. Colin Firth...*sigh*

Irene said...

Julie - Wonderful! I always feel an immediate affinity towards those who also love "Father of the Bride." c",)

KJ & Bearette - Thanks for dropping by! Consider yourself tagged. You're now IT! Go forth and have fun making your own movie lists. I cannot wait to see what you come up with! c",)

Kiyotoe said...

Wow, it's crazy how people from all over the spectrum can be affected by the same movies.

Zoolander? I'm the only person I knoww that laughs out loud at that movie. Love Actually? The part where Firth and his housekeeper are telling each other how much they'll miss each other in 2 different languages? I never knew I was a romantic until I saw that movie.

Good stuff.

Irene said...

Thanks, Kiyotoe! Good movies and good books...what more can one ask for? Oh yeah....good food! c",)

Yaxlich said...

Yaxlich also loves "As Good As It Gets" and it almost made his Top 5 films.

Anonymous said...

I'm still meaning to get to this. Tomorrow I hope!

Jules said...

That last comment was by me, Julie. I don't know why Blogger automatically chose "anonymous" for me...maybe it's a beta flaw...

Christina_the_wench said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my little blog. I love your picks here. Shrek will always rock, as will Crash. I could watch both over and over.

Jennifer said...

Ireeeeene! Ok, so blog tag again? Crash is on your list! I didn't have any expectations when I saw it, so I was the most surprised when I found myself bawling like a deserted child (good thing I watched it alone at home) during that entire scene with the little girl who got shot but didn't get shot—crying because of the unimaginable horror, then crying because I was so relieved, then just crying for no reason at all.

Irene said...

Hello Irene,

Thanks for stopping by. Nice blog, with true zest.

I'm impressed with your film favorites. Quite a few are mine too. Your all time faves are identical, actually, to mine.

Oh and I loved your family photos.

Bless you,
irene

Irene said...

Jennigirl - Thanks for revealing the plot of "Crash" to my thousands of blogreaders who haven't seen the movie. BWAHAHAHA! I love that movie! Thanks for making me watch it! c",)

Irene - I love your name. Bwahaha! :p

Thanks for the nice words. I hope we become bloggerfriends! c",)