October 05, 2006

Tomb Tunes


I have a cool, new, impossibly young bloggerfriend aptly named The Thinker. Today, she surprised me with the most morbid tag I have so far received:

"The idea is to pick five songs that you'd like played at your funeral."

Heavens! Sharing one’s favorite books and movies is one thing. Mulling over the specific music you want heard when you are dead and gone is something else! Tell me, what kind of people think up these things??? Was this meme, perchance, concocted by a bored undertaker? Or was a competitive funeral parlor director merely trying to get the feel of his customers’ preferences?

The Thinker is very fortunate that I happen to harbor a sufficient amount of fascination for the macabre that entices me to give in and play along in this morbidly grave game.

Are you ready for Irene’s Top 5 Tomb Tunes???

1. “Dancing Queen” by Abba – Because every time I hear this, I just have to get up and dance. And so does everybody else.

You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
See that girl, watch that scene, dig in the Dancing Queen

Friday night and the lights are low
Looking out for the place to go
Where they play the right music, getting in the swing
You come in to look for a King
Anybody could be that guy
Night is young and the music's high
With a bit of rock music, everything is fine
You're in the mood for a dance
And when you get the chance...

You are the Dancing Queen, young and sweet, only seventeen
Dancing Queen, feel the beat from the tambourine
You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
See that girl, watch that scene, dig in the Dancing Queen

You're a teaser, you turn 'em on
Leave them burning and then you're gone
Looking out for another, anyone will do
You're in the mood for a dance
And when you get the chance...

You are the Dancing Queen, young and sweet, only seventeen
Dancing Queen, feel the beat from the tambourine
You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
See that girl, watch that scene, dig in the Dancing Queen


2. “If You’re Happy and You Know It” (Popular Children’s Song) – Because I want to find out who will be happy when I’m gone so I can come back to haunt them. MWAHAHA!

If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands.
If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands.
If you’re happy and you know it,
then you really ought to show it
If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands!

3. “Express Yourself” by Madonna - Because I want those left behind to remember that one of the most important things in life is to express your love while you still can.

(spoken:)
Come on girls
Do you believe in love?
'cause i got something to say about it
And it goes something like this

Chorus:

Don't go for second best baby
Put your love to the test
You know, you know, you've got to
Make him express how he feels
And maybe then you'll know your love is real

You don't need diamond rings
Or eighteen karat gold
Fancy cars that go very fast
You know they never last, no, no
What you need is a big strong hand
To lift you to your higher ground
Make you feel like a queen on a throne
Make him love you till you can't come down
[you'll never come down]

(chorus)

Long stem roses are the way to your heart
But he needs to start with your head
Satin sheets are very romantic
What happens when you're not in bed
You deserve the best in life
So if the time isn't right then move on
Second best is never enough
You'll do much better baby on your own
[baby on your own]

(chorus)

Express yourself
[you've got to make him]
Express himself
Hey, hey, hey, hey
So if you want it right now, make him show you how
Express what he's got, oh baby ready or not

Intermediate:

And when you're gone he might regret it
Think about the love he once had
Try to carry on, but he just won't get it
He'll be back on his knees

To express himself
[you've got to make him]
Express himself
Hey hey

What you need is a big strong hand
To lift you to your higher ground
Make you feel like a queen on a throne
Make him love you till you can't come down
[you'll never come down]

(intermediate)

So please

(chorus)

Express yourself
[you've got to make him]
Express himself
Hey, hey, hey, hey
So if you want it right now, make him show you how
Express what he's got, oh baby ready or not
Express yourself
[you've got to make him]
So you can respect yourself
Hey, hey
So if you want it right now, then make him show you how
Express what he's got, oh baby ready or not


4. “Danny’s Song” by Kenny Loggins – Because I was greatly blessed to experience the chain of love within my own family and I hope everyone experiences it, too.

People smile and tell me i'm the lucky one, and we've just begun,
Think i'm gonna have a son.
He will be like she and me, as free as a dove, conceived in love,
Sun is gonna shine above.

Chorus:
And even though we ain't got money, i'm so in love with ya honey,
And everything will bring a chain of love.
And in the morning when i rise, you bring a tear of joy to my eyes,
And tell me everything is gonna be alright.

Seems as though a month ago i beta chi, never got high,
Oh, i was a sorry guy.
And now a smile, a face, a girl that shares my name,
Now i'm through with the game, this boy will never be the same.

(to chorus:)
Pisces, virgo rising is a very good sign, strong and kind,
And the little boy is mine.
Now i see a family where there once was none, now we've just begun,
Yeah, we're gonna fly to the sun.

(to chorus:)

Love the girl who holds the world in a paper cup, drink it up,
Love her and she'll bring you luck.
And if you find she helps your mind, buddy, take her home,
Don't you live alone, try to earn what lovers own.


5. “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen – Because this is the one of the greatest rock anthems ever. And I‘ll be darned if I don’t leave this earth rockin’!

Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality.
Open your eyes, Look up to the skies and see,
I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy,
Because I'm easy come, easy go, Little high, little low,
Any way the wind blows doesn't really matter to me, to me.

Mama just killed a man,
Put a gun against his head, pulled my trigger, now he's dead.
Mama, life had just begun,
But now I've gone and thrown it all away.
Mama, ooh, Didn't mean to make you cry,
If I'm not back again this time tomorrow,
Carry on, carry on as if nothing really matters.

Too late, my time has come,
Sends shivers down my spine, body's aching all the time.
Goodbye, ev'rybody, I've got to go,
Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth.
Mama, ooh, I don't want to die,
I sometimes wish I'd never been born at all.

I see a little silhouetto of a man,
Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango.
Thunderbolt and lightning, very, very fright'ning me.

(Galileo.) Galileo. (Galileo.) Galileo, Galileo figaro
Magnifico. I'm just a poor boy and nobody loves me.
He's just a poor boy from a poor family,
Spare him his life from this monstrosity.
Easy come, easy go, will you let me go.
Bismillah! No, we will not let you go.
(Let him go!) Bismillah! We will not let you go.
(Let him go!) Bismillah! We will not let you go.
(Let me go.) Will not let you go.
(Let me go.) Will not let you go. (Let me go.) Ah.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
(Oh mama mia, mama mia.) Mama mia, let me go.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me, for me, for me.

So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye.
So you think you can love me and leave me to die.
Oh, baby, can't do this to me, baby,
Just gotta get out, just gotta get right outta here.

Nothing really matters, Anyone can see,
Nothing really matters,
Nothing really matters to me.

Any way the wind blows.

Now that my dirty deed is done, it's time to tag others to do the same: Jennigirl, Menchie, Maite, Lizza, Sexy Julie, Peggy, and Christina the Wench. The bell now tolls for thee. Go have some grievous fun!

24 comments:

Christina_the_wench said...

Oh no you didn't! lol Damn. Now I gotta think today, and it was so 'No Thinking Thursday.' ;)

Da Winged Acrophobic said...

Bohemian Rhapsody for mine, too. BTW it's a fun, though morbid, thing to consider. Great thinking from The Thinker.

Irene said...

Christina - I know you'll enjoy this particular tag. After all, you're the one with "DIE" in her page title! Bwahaha! c",)

Winged Acrophobic - Consider yourself tagged. Get on it NOW! c",)

Peg said...

Oooh...Now I've got to go think on that! Thanks for the Tag, Irene!! I love the songs you chose.

~Peg

Jules said...

HA! Great answers! And to answer your question as to what kind of morbid person would think this meme up, you can see at my blog where I answer this same meme a few days ago. I was tagged by Dr. Anonymous, who was tagged by Blog MD (the original author)

Bearette said...

You chose very upbeat tunes ;)

I came across a similar thing recently, where people just picked one song. I decided to pick The Doors' "Light My Fire" because I want to be cremated :) I guess that's in bad taste though. So maybe Ave Maria or something. But that's kind of boring, isn't it? Maybe "Bizarre Love Triangle" by New Order.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i got tagged with this one too. did you see what i did with it? it was a few days back. nice blog, i'll be back again....bee

Cherry Popcorn said...

Haha.. ur picture is cute! But oh goodness.. wat songs to put for your funeral? haha.. can't think of any..

You want to have 'if you happy and you know it' song during your funeral? i dunno whether to cry anot! =P

sigh.. i am an addicted blogger! it's 4:30 am in my place now.. good night!

Dr. A said...

Great list. I like your blog as well. I'm going to add you to my links list, if that's ok.

Lizza said...

Your songs are great! Bohemian Rhapsody, lol. Love that one.

Thanks for the tag! I'll do a bit of thinking on this one. :-D The songs have to have major impact, they're part of what people will remember me by before I'm placed six feet under or before my ashes are scattered to the four corners of the Earth! (I'm still undecided between burial and cremation, haha!)

abovo99 said...

Nice pick! I like Dancing Queens by ABBA, too...I grew up listening and watching them. I am just glad that ABBA's song is # 1 of your picks. I think they are the best.

houseband00 said...

Great list, Irene! =)

JR's Thumbprints said...

I guess I broke the chain, but I see you made up for it.

Irene said...

Pretty Peg and Lovely Lizza - Woohoo! I'm excited to see your lists!!!

Julie and Empress Bee - Didn't know you gals were tagged with this morbid meme already! I'll go check out what you came up with. c",)

Princess - "If You're Happy and You Know It" is fun! At least I know my baby boy will be amused. HAHA! :p

Bearette - "Light My Fire" is way cool. And "Bizarre Love Triangle" is well...bizarre! Haha! c",)

Irene said...

The Body Talk - Abba is definitely the best!!! Chiquitita, tell me the truth.... Bwahahaha! :p

Houseband - Thanks! But I should have included "Someday We'll Know." c",)

JR - I would feel too guilty to break a chain - no matter how ridiculusly morbid it is. HAHA! :p

Dr. A - Oh, how great! Thanks a lot for wanting to blogroll me. I'll do the same for you. That means we're bloggerfriends now. Yipee! c",)

Kimberley said...

I have never really thought of that ...kinda makes you "think"

Menchie said...

Hey Irene! Just did the movie tag, check it out. This is gonna be a hard one. I'll have to give it a lot of thought.

Michael C said...

Now that my friend is a list!!! Although I hope it happens a very, very long time from now, that is a funeral I would attend.

But I still say this is all so morbid. I was tagged too and then spent the rest of the day under my desk for fear that if I planned my funeral, I was asking for trouble ;-)

Have a great weekend!

Bob said...

I have heard of Queen and Abba but not the others you mentioned.
Can you believe that? I must be getting old and out of touch.

My first choice would be "Come away death" from Shakespeare's Twelth Night.

krystyna said...

Hi Irena,
thanks for your visit!
Great picture!
Great songs.
Funeral- I don't like think about.

Peace and love to you and your family!!

Deepak Gopi said...

Hi :-}
Thnkx 4 the information.
I am hearing of all other names except Abba ,7 Madona for the first time.
Nice pic.

Julia said...

Great list, especially number five.

And Dr. Anonymous tagged me first so he started it!

Barb said...

I was not tagged with this, but I saw it somewhere else & added a post to my blog with my songs. I could only think of two though!

Parlancheq said...

Ha! I love the reason for including 'If you're happy and you know it.' :)