April 11, 2008

Reminiscing Rio

"Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand
Just like that river twisting through a dustly land
And when she shines she really shows you all she can
Oh Rio, Rio dance across the Rio Grande..."


Duran Duran played this song as their final encore in their concert Thursday night.

Consequently, it has permeated the inner recesses of my brain so that I continue to sing it over and over again like a broken record. Which is quite a feat, really, given that I have practically lost all command of my vocal chords since yelling myself silly throughout their entire two-hour show.

Duran Duran is one of my all-time favorite eighties' bands.

I loved them before....



And, after finally seeing them peform live, I love them even more now....



Nostalgia overwhelmed me as the amazingly talented English musicians played their fabulously familiar tunes, and the huge Araneta Coliseum crowd collectively shrieked and danced along.

After the twenty or so years that have passed, the group undeniably sounded better than ever.

I saw many familiar faces in the excited audience - some I knew from way back in high school and college.

Flashbacks of prom nights, awkward dates, die-hard crushes, puppy loves, crazy parties, spasmodic bursts of teenage rebellion and sentimental friendships enveloped my being and spurred me to scream my lungs out even harder to the soundtracks that were my life.

I was lost, then found, in the contagious mood of frenetic reminiscence.

I felt old.

And I felt young.

Generally, I felt greater than I had in quite a while.

"Her name is Rio she don't need to understand
And I might find her if I'm looking like I can
Rio, Rio hear them shout across the land
From mountains in the north down to the Rio Grande..."

8 comments:

Bearette said...

I am so jealous!! :)

Ian said...

There's nothing like the thrill of seeing a band you grew up listening to live. I got to a couple years ago - it was awesome.

Ian

Irene said...

Bearette: I bet the baby in your womb would have been kicking to the tune of "Wild Boys!" ;p

Ian: Awesome indeed! I like going to live concerts, and Duran Duran's is definitely one of the most memorable yet. =)

Menchie said...

LOL! You actually went and saw them! Good for you Irene!

Is John taylor as good looking as he was back then?

Pam said...

Oh I am so envious! I'm not a die hard Duranie, but I do like them. It would've been fun to reminisce,too. Of course, it also would've been fun screaming myself hoarse with you and Jen. Nothing beats the company that the 2 of you bring. Even if I end up with tonsilitis all over again! : )

Irene said...

Mench: Somehow, I just knew John Taylor would also be your favorite member!

My dear, I believe he looks better now more than ever. My girlfriends and I screamed hardest for him at the concert. Sigh....

Pammy: The only thing missing that memorable night was YOU. Oh yeah....and Allan nga pala. Bwahaha!! ;p

You'd better make sure to join us at the next concert we atttend. Madonna??? Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Miao 妙 said...

You look really pretty.

my4kids said...

A lot of those bands sound better 20 year later when they have matured a bit. I am jealous, I liked them also.